A ST Andrews family is distraught after a house fire destroyed the house they were renting and all their belongings.
Gary and Shoana Sullivan and their three-year-old daughter returned home from dinner to see their house engulfed in flames soon after 9pm last Wednesday.
Luckily, a neighbour managed to force entry to the home and saved the family's dog, Buddy.
Close friend Levi Wanders, who with his fiancee Amy Kirk-Willia, was out with the family, said he was glad they were not at home when the house caught fire.
"If we didn't go out they would have been asleep in bed and may not have been able to get out in time," he said.
Having cancelled the contents insurance for the property two weeks before the fire when Mr Sullivan's hours had been cut back at work, the family had lost everything and would not be able to get any compensation.
"All their belongings are gone," Mr Wanders said. "When you lose everything that is sentimental to you it is hard."
Mr Wanders is rallying the peninsula community to gather donations of food, furniture and homewares as well as financial contributions to keep the family afloat.
"I just want to stock them up with everything and let them know there are people in the community who care about them.
"I am trying to raise money to clear whatever bills they have outstanding so they can start afresh. Everyone in the community has been awesome and we have already received a substantial number of donations."
Mr Wanders said the family was extremely appreciative over the response. "The family are still very shaken by what has happened but they are so thankful for all the help they have received."
Senior Constable Michael Abbott of Rosebud police said the fire was believed to have started under the house and might have been caused by an electrical fault. Investigations were continuing.
A Facebook page where people can donate to the family can be found at 'Shoana and Gary's future love fund'.