THE CFA is urging people to contact a professional before attempting repairs to potentially dangerous leaking gas tanks.
The warning follows Mt Martha CFA being called to a Fairbairn Avenue property last Thursday after neighbours smelt gas and saw an abandoned, leaking LPG car tank on a front lawn.
The Somers gas support unit was activated and conducted a flare-off at the property, monitored by firefighters from Mt Martha, Dromana and Somers. No one was home at the time.
Mt Martha brigade captain Travis Hutchins said any form of leaking gas cylinder had the potential to be dangerous so people should always immediately call triple-0.
"The risk factor was very high with this case so we were fortunate to get to the gas tank in time before a potentially deadly incident occurred."